Wednesday, April 9, 2008

New or Old



How many times have you seen a new project you wanted to start and for a brief moment all the UFO's (unfinished projects) in your closets and drawers were forgotten? All thoughts consumed by the sudden urge to choose new fabric, create a new project, get going! This has happened to me a lot recently. But then gradually reason starts to creep back in, maybe while I'm standing in the quilt shop looking at fabric! and suddenly the images of those projects come floating back. I haven't started many projects that I wasn't crazy about, so there is no logical reason to discard them for something new. I just needed to get myself recharged and start sewing! So this is what I did.

After the move, I had to "get back on the horse" and what better way than to dive into the old projects. I spent the better part of two weeks setting up my HQ16 quilting machine, running on some test pieces, correcting tension, dusting, and getting up the courage to use it on a "real" quilt. The funny thing is I made two tops just for that purpose that have been sitting there waiting for a year and a half!

I'm happy to say that I finally got the first one loaded and it's been started! I'm working on a pantograph on this quilt. It's like following the yellow brick road. I think it will look nice, but I'm not sure I'm cut out for this much of a controlled pattern. The quilt top is so busy it's hard to see the pattern while quilting - so the panto is the perfect method of getting it done. The quilt pattern is called Vanity Fair.

Happy Quilting!
Liz

3 comments:

marin said...

i love that quilt with the squares!

wanna get started on my old projects too :)

maryhanks said...

Cool machine & beautiful quilts! I'm the Queen of the UFO's!!!

Kitty said...

that sewing machine?
totally sexy.
i'm drooooooooling.